Friday, March 1, 2013

First post!

Hi readers! This is my new blog for all things educational. I had a personal blog that I only used semi-regularly, but I'm very excited to dive deeper into some more professional topics that will help me in my career (and help others in their careers!). 

On my old blog, my last post that I made was about how we're not being creative anymore. I'm going to post it here just for thought's sake. Enjoy!

Where did all of our creativity go? 
Seriously, think about it. We now live in a world where we can repost things on Facebook, retweet things on Twitter, repin things on Pinterest, reblog things on Tumblr, etc, etc, etc. I'm NOT saying that any of these websites are bad or stupid or anything like that. I use all of these sites and I enjoy them very much. But I did some pondering over this last night while I was in bed. We're so busy reposting and repinning that we don't ever show other people our own creativity. Think about it, 90s kids (cuz I know that's who you are), when we were little, making crafts and playing games was the best thing ever. Remember? Way back when before the internet was popular. At least to us. Before we all got Facebook accounts and cell phones, we actually made things. I have boxes and boxes of art projects in my attic from all of those years where I made things when I was bored. Even when I started getting into technology at about 12 or 13, I quickly figured out how to use Photoshop and other graphic tools. I had an entire website devoted to making my own graphics. At some point though, I let it go. I stopped making my own graphics and stopped creating the things I loved most. It didn't hit me until yesterday that we've all slipped into the habit of re-whatevering the things that other people have done. I'm not saying that no one is creative anymore; obviously someone had to post the cool things that we're sharing with others. But when was the last time that you pinned an original picture to Pinterest? Or posted one of your own pictures to your wall for others to share? If you're like me, not very often. I've had this urge lately to create things on the computer. To make things my own. To share my own creations with other people. I love photography, but I haven't deliberately sat down and taken/edited pictures in so long. Why? I assure you, it's not because I don't have time to sit on Facebook and Tumblr. I find plenty of time to do those things. So why can't I make something for others to see for once? I want to take pictures and put my Photoshop skills to good use. Maybe you're a fashion designer. Maybe you love to write poems. Maybe you used to build the best Lego buildings ever when you were little...so go do it now, too. You might be surprised how creative you can be.
We loved being creative when we were kids. Let's bring it back. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment